|Object Name||Yoke, Neck|
Wooden 38" ring style neck yoke for hitching a draft (draught) horse to pull a load. Steel end rings and hooks; center 2.75" steel ring; long steel support rod on back side. . The yoke is used in harnessing to connect horses' collars to the tongue of the wagon or carriage. Price: $1.00 marked on wood. Stamped "____Wood". The neck yoke belonged to William Warnke, father of the donor.
William "Bill" Warnke came to Glencoe in 1920 and established a horse business in partnership with his brother Herman. Shortly after they dissolved this partnership, he went into business for himself as "W. M. Warnke Square Deal Horse Market. Horses Bought, Sold & Exchanged. Glencoe, MN." He had the business in downtown Glencoe at 13th & Hennepin for 11 years until 1931 at which time he purchased property north of Glencoe (2530 Hennepin Ave No). Bill ZumHof built the barn north of Glencoe in 1931 at a cost of $3,000. It had double walls and New Ulm brick. Wm. Warnke sold horses for 25 years and then went into selling dairy cattle, as machines replaced horses. His son Wallace Warnke, after serving in the U. S. Army, went into the dairy cattle business with his father from 1946-1988, as Wm. Warnke and Son, Glencoe. William was born October 16, 1897 and died April 6, 1974.
Agricultural machinery & implements
Warnke, William "Bill"